Modern and digital workplace are changing in very fast. Intranet portals are improving very fast with the time. Organizations are expands in multiple countries and different people with different cultures and languages are working together in organization.Multilingual portals and applications are increasingly a basic requirement.We always take a advantage of the publishing features and publishing site and implemented Variations Feature vastly to create multi language portals and applications.Variations are supported with classic sites and publishing sites in SharePoint Online.
Note:Modern SharePoint Sites (Teams and Communication) are not supported variations features for multi-language experience.
Nowadays people are adopting modern sharepoint site to make a customer’s applications and intranet portals. There are many times where customer asks for multi language experience for the employees who is working from other region or country. As a solution provider, we felt the language can be a barrier while providing the solution with modern SharePoint some times and we need to do custom development which can be take too much time and increase frustration some times.
Multilingual feature enabled with modern Communication sites. Now Solution provider can take a advantage of multilingual feature in modern sites to create multilingual communication sites, pages and news.
Note: Features is enabled for organizations who have opted in “Targeted release for everyone” at the time of writing this blog
1. Check organizations have opted for “Targeted Release For everyone”.
2. Modern communication site
3. Set preferred language to User Profile
- How to check that your organisation have opted for “Targeted Release For Everyone”?
Please Click Here to check organizations Release Preferences
2. Create a Modern Communication Site
Please Click Here to get a steps for creating a communication site.
Make sure default language is not able to change later. So, Select default language carefully.
3. Set Preferred language for user
Follow below steps to set preferred language for specific User.
Go TO URL : https://<Tenant>-my.sharepoint.com//_layouts/15/editprofile.aspx?UserSettingsProvider=dfb95e82-8132-404b-b693-25418fdac9b6
Key Notes regarding multilingual feature:
1. Page translation features are available on communication sites only.
2. Pages are not translated automatically. Translator manually translate the content which is same a default page.After you translate such a page and publish it, it will automatically be displayed to users who prefer that language.
3. Changes to the original, source page or to other translation pages are not automatically synced with all translation pages. Each translation page must be updated manually
4. The language displayed to a user will depend on their personal language and region settings.
5. if you are using SharePoint Server versions earlier than 2019, see Using the variations feature for multilingual sites.
6. The default language of a site is set to the language chosen when the site is created. However, when English is among the supported languages, English is treated as the preferred language if the user’s preferred language is not supported by the site. This is a known issue.
Let’s move forward to enable multilingual feature. I hope you have configured all prerequisites.
Enable the multilingual feature and choose languages
1. Go to communication site which we have created earlier. .On this communication site we are going to enable multilingual feature.
2. Click on gear icon and click on “Site Information”
3. Click on view all site settings
4. Click on language Settings under Site Administration
5. Do toggle “On” under Enable pages and news to be translated into multiple languages
6. Select language and assign translator name in column ‘Translator“
Key Points to understand and keep in mind:
– Make sure the person who has selected in Translator column, Assign Appropriate permission on site so user can update content on site.
– Any one from your active directory can assigned as a translator
7. Once languages are added, Drop down appear on your site on top right corner.
Create pages for the languages you want
1. Multilingual feature enabled successfully then you will see Translation button on ribbon.
2. Go to default language page you want to make available in another language
3. Click on Translation on top bar
4. Panel is open when you clicked on “Translation”.
If you want to create a page for translation in each of all languages available for your site, select Create for all languages. Otherwise, select Create only for the languages you want.
Languages are displayed based on the selection under “Language Settings”
Click on “Create” to translate page in specific language.
5. When Create clicked then email notification send to user who is assigned as translator for specific language. Email body as below.
Here you can see one action button “Start Translating”.
It will redirect you to the page which is requested for translation.
6. Translator needs to updated the content in requested language.
Most important is to publish the page else changes are not reflected.
Desired Output as below
Delete a translation page
To delete the translated page from the SharePoint site. Follow below steps
1. Click on Site Content
2. Click on Site Pages
3. Select the folder or page that you want to delete.
Folder is created against the each language.
i.e. Hindi = Hi, Russian: ru
Note: Default language pages or post are not in individual folder
Reference Link : https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-multilingual-communication-sites-pages-and-news-2bb7d610-5453-41c6-a0e8-6f40b3ed750c
Please provide your feedback in comments. I will be happy to update content in more suitable way.
Sharing is Caring